Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cool couple of nights...

Tuesday night I hung out with a Broadway actress that was in the last pilot I worked on with Paul. She's so sweet. She invited a friend of hers - also an actress - to join us. It was nice to sit on a couch in a cool bar, drink wine and chat with two cool chicks. She'll be a nice person to call every once in awhile. She's married but she still goes out.

Then last night I hung out with a jazz drummer. He's a very sweet guy. We went to dinner and then to Zinc - a bar that often has jazz performers. I had never seen jazz live. I've always been a little intimidated by it because I didn't think I'd "get it." Apparently, it was a historical night because there were 6 guys playing - 3 different sets of brothers - who are all big up and comers in the jazz world. Then jazz legend - Roy Haynes - walked in and sat down right next to me. I didn't know who he was but my friend said, "He's the Cary Grant of Jazz. He's Jazz Royalty." I was so excited to be sitting next to him. Roy B---- what was his name again?

It was such a cool evening. What I always pictured a NY night of watching jazzzzzzz to be. I kept thinking of the "Sex & the City" episode where Carrie dates the hot jazz guy. Unfortunately my friend was sweet, but Craig Bierko he is not.

I had an interview yesterday that was so disappointing. It was with a huge advertising agency and I thought they were calling me in because they saw my resume (which has NO advertising experience on it) and thought I'd be good for a position there. But instead I walk in and the woman stares at me and asks "Sooo, why advertising?" My mind went blank as I thought, "Well, you called me in here so I'd like to ask you the same question."

I fumbled and gave the best answer I could and in the end she was helpful I suppose but it was essentially a waste of my time and hers. Embarrassing. She only called me in because she did a commercial 11 years ago with my former boss.

At least I'm finally going to get unemployment checks. $450/week! I'm FLABERGASTED that they pay you that much to not work. I think I'll go to a museum today...............

No comments: