Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Where's The Love?

I switched from a Hotmail email account to a Gmail account about 2 years ago. Ever since I made the switch I've been slowly trying to reduce the amount of junk mail and newsletters that hit the Hotmail account. I’m tired of weeding through the junk just to make sure that this one friend of mine who simply refuses to change my email address to Gmail in their contacts didn’t send me something.

Because I’ve had my Hotmail account since the beginning of the internet I’ve used it to sign up for anything and everything. And I’ve actually taken the time to unsubscribe from each and every company/person/newsletter that would email me about their local events, movie screenings, volunteer opportunities, once-in-a-lifetime credit card offers, travel deals, new spring skirts, etc.

It’s an educational journey into the history of my moods, phases and interests over the past 10+ years. There’s still this chick in LA that emails me periodically to tell me to come see her at her next live show at XYZ bar because I went to go see her ONCE about 6 years ago at a 20-seat cafĂ© and used my Hotmail address to sign the guest sheet. I only signed the damn sheet so she’d feel better.

It’s taken quite awhile but I think I’ve finally hit the bottom of the barrel because I checked my Hotmail account yesterday and there were NO NEW EMAILS!

My immediate reaction was bewilderment. “Maybe I logged into the wrong account somehow,” I thought. Then I realized it was indeed MY empty inbox.

I felt so alone and unloved.

I didn’t realize how attached I had become to the junk emails! A classic unhealthy, co-dependent relationship.

I logged in again today to check it again and received two emails. One from Job.com telling someone named Stephen Bunch that they’ve found the perfect sales job for him in South Carolina. Then one from Tagged.com telling me that someone looked at my profile but I need to add a photo to increase my chances of making friends.

I don’t know who Stephen Bunch is or what the hell Tagged.com is but Hallelujah! I’m worthy of being bothered again! Woo hoo!

No comments: