Thursday, April 10, 2008

3 Steps or 250 Words

I'm a bit worried that my memory now only lasts for 3 steps. Or 250 words. It goes something like this:

- An idea pops into my head to go get something from another room
- I get out of my chair and walk 3 steps
- I think, "Why did I come in here again?"
- Then I think, "What the hell is wrong with me...maybe if I go back to my chair that'll jog my memory."
- I return to my chair and look at my computer
- This triggers another task that needs to be done and I completely forget about my original task until approximately 2:45am. When I should be sleeping instead.

This same story holds true for the internet. If there's a site I need to go to for a particular purpose I'll open a new browser window. CNN.com is my default page. Inevitably, there will be a new headline on their home page that is intriguing enough to click on to get the full story. I click on it thinking, "Well, I'll just read this first and THEN go to xyz.com".

I read (well, skim) the article and by the end of a mere 250 words I have absolutely no recollection of the original website I was supposed to go to. Until 2:45am.















I'm only 33 years old. This can't be good.

No comments: