Friday, May 18, 2007

Met the parents

I met Dave's parents this past weekend. He had invited me during the week but wasn't sure if he was going to be able to go because of work. Then mid-day Saturday he said he was definitely going up and "I was welcome to come."

I HATE that phrase! Do you want me to come or not? I just ignored it and said I'd like to come. So I had about 30 minutes to get myself ready and packed because we were going to his friend Mike's in Connecticut for his 35th birthday BBQ and I was going to spend the night at Dave's and then we were driving up to his parents house the next day.

Saturday night was fun. I had never been to CT. So now I have. Dave and I got too drunk and spent the night there. No sex of course. I need to have a talk with him about that at some point. I know he needs the release from his stressful job/life but every once in awhile I need him to scale down a couple drinks so we can actually BE together.

An ex-girlfriend of his was there (Mike didn't give him a head's up so he didn't know she was going to be there) and she was cuter, skinnier and tanner than me. I didn't know that she and Dave used to date and I remember meeting her and thinking, "Ugh, she's cuter, skinnier and tanner than me." I always size myself up to every other girl whenever I go out. So of course Dave used to date her, but whatever. He said she's a pill popper so that made me feel better :) And they weren't serious or anything. And it then made sense why she was kind of cold to me when I first met her. Of course 5 glasses of sangria took care of that and she finally talked to me at the end of the night.

Dave woke me up at 7am and said, "Let's go! We can drive up to my parents and have breakfast." I was like, "Ummmm, I thought we were having dinner there?" I was hungover and tired but pushed through.

On the way up there Dave was chatting and not paying attention and passed the exit he needed. Instead of doing what most people do which is TURN AROUND...he decided to keep going because "there's gotta be a cut across at some point."

Weeeellllll, there's not. At one point he saw the Catskills off to the left and said, "That's not good" because that's where we were supposed to be. We ended up in friggin' Albany. At one point we saw a sign for Montreal. I said, "Babe, I didn't bring my passport." So a 2 1/2 hour drive became a 4 hour drive. We were cracking up.

So we had lunch at this cute place that's next to a small creek. Then we FINALLY arrive at his parent's house. We left at 9:30am and got there at about 2:30pm.

They live in a dreeeeam house in the Catskills. 2 ponds in the front with geese. Huge log cabin style house. Grandma lives in the guest house. They have the biggest stone fireplace I've ever seen. Amazing.

His dad greeted us and he's so sweet! Then we walk into the house and it's reeeeeally quiet. His brother is sleeping on the couch in the lap of some girl that Dave's never met before. So that was strange. We were like, "Who's she?" His mom greeted me and then went back to her chair to watch that stupid Ben Stiller museum movie.

And that was it. Dave's dad talked with me a little bit but not in the "let me get to know this girl that Dave brought to the house" way but rather in a small talk way. I asked him about the house aaaaand that was about it.

After awhile Dave and I went to meet his grandma and give her the flowers he bought for her. Then we walked around the pond and went back in the house.

No one was watching TV and Real Time with Bill Maher came on and Arianna was a panelist. So I sat down and Dave's mom came in the room and said, "I HATE that woman!" I replied sarcastically, "That's my boss." She said, "You're kidding!" and laughed and walked off.

I was expecting SOME sort of follow up question like, "Oh, you work for her? What do you do?" But NO. NOTHING. I thought that was so strange.

We had a really nice meal at a restaurant called The Phoenix. Conversation was more of the same. We had a 10-minute discussion about what spice was in the rolls. No one could figure it out.

"Is it nutmeg?"
"It could be tumeric."
"No, it's not tumeric."
"Allspice?"
"That's cheating."
"I think it's nutmeg."
"Let's ask the waiter."

The whole experience was very informative. I'm so used to my mom who's been compared to a CIA investigator when she meets people. Especially if it's someone her kids bring over for a special dinner. Dave said that it's not because they're not interested but it's because they know that if they start grilling me Dave will throw his hands up and say, "Hey...knock it off!" But still.....not ONE question?

It helped me understand Dave a lot more which will help us in our communications. I hope. Not that it won't still be frustrating when he doesn't respond to something I say but I feel much more comfortable around him now which is huge. We had 6 hours in the car together.

I finally got to see his place this weekend too. It's a tiny house but it's right on the water. SO relaxing. It has a lot of potential. He just has to find the time to carry out his plans for it.

Still haven't had sex with him. It's been 2 weeks & 5 days. Not that I'm counting or anything....

We're making plans for Memorial Day weekend. If the weather holds up we're going to Block Island and staying at an inn and hanging out at Aaron and Beth's house there. That'll be fun! If the weather sucks then we'll just cook out at Dave's place and maybe head to CT again to BBQ with Tim and Dina. Either way I'm looking forward to it. I'll be out of town the 2 weekends after that so it'll be good to have an entire weekend with him.

We're hanging out tomorrow night. Pray for me that I get laid. Probably won't be on the top of your higher power's "to do" list but I gotta at least get in the cue.

No comments: