Monday, February 04, 2008

Saturday night

Saved from going insane just in the nick of time...

I was sitting in my pj's this past Saturday night reading "Woman in Charge" by Carl Bernstein when I heard the sound of people having fun right above me. A guy was having a huge party that got louder and louder as the night went on. I was trying to focus on my book and tell myself that it's okay that I'm staying home by myself for the 3rd weekend in a row.

Then I got a magical call on my cell phone from Benji. A guy that I had a drink with a couple weeks ago. We have a mutual friend. He invited me to his going away party. THANK GOD!!!

I got ready in record time and went to this members only club called Prive. They're very big on the "members only" bullshit here. It's so stupid.

I entered the club, bought myself a drink and was immediately reminded of why I'm so not into dance clubs anymore. Three people knocked into me all in a row and each spilled part of my drink on my dress. You can smoke in bars here so this guy blew smoke in my face. I tried to find Benji but it was packed as hell and everytime I turned my head in another direction all I could see was this:


















I felt like a blind fly that was just caught in a spider's web. I was turning and spinning but couldn't find an opening. Finally, I find him and he's hitting on some girl. So he takes us to their table. That's another thing that's big at the clubs here. You reserve a table and buy huge bottles of champagne and vodka. It's great. They bring you mixers, ice, straws, napkins, etc. So you don't have to fight the crowd everytime you want a drink.

Benji introduced me to a guy. We small-talked for about 5 minutes and then it was very apparent that neither of us wanted to continue talking. So I kept getting pushed around and just started sucking down drinks hoping that would help. And it did.

The music was fun but then quickly turned to lame. The DJ played "Living on a Prayer" and I rolled my eyes but then started laughing my ass off because it was quite a sight to see people from all over the world screaming, "We gotta hooooold on to what we've got. It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not!"

Bon Jovi: Uniting The World Through His Song

I met a few people and one girl seems a bit wacky but cool enough and she has tons of guy friends here in HK. So hopefully she'll call. I got home at 4am and when I left they were all still there and had no intention of leaving anytime soon.

I swear, it really is spring break for 30-somethings with money here.

No comments: